The new year

Karin has moved to a different office. She’s pleased that her commute has been shortened from twenty-five minutes to eight minutes.

At home, on my computer, I’m pleased that “2022” is easier to type than “2021.”

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Right on cue, winter has hit hard. Yesterday we didn’t have salt to melt the ice on our driveway. I slipped and badly scraped my left arm, from elbow to palm. Today I am sore all over, and Samuel keeps trying to peel my bandages off.

Just about every winter, it seems, I do a terrible fall on the ice. Readers will recall that three years ago, I sprained my ankle and had to use crutches. But worst was when Karin & I were newly married: I kept falling down the rickety, icy staircase that was our apartment’s only exit.

Those are fond memories now.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

This year I hope to read all of the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. It’s very different from the Good News Translation. I loved the GNT – “This Bible loves people,” was how I often felt while I was reading it – but I also want to read a “formal equivalence” translation from time to time. Every translation I use casts new light on the text (but then, so does every font).