Corn pudding

While it’s worth remembering that the U.S. Capitol was attacked one year ago, this entry will discuss something far less momentous: my diet.

After Thanksgiving, I started procuring, from the store, pies of pumpkin, apple, and blueberry. This was a speed-bump on my path to personal excellence.

Happily, the last two weeks, I didn’t bring home any pies. But on New Year’s Day, at my mother-in-law’s house, I ate serving after serving of corn pudding; and so, lately, that’s what I’ve been craving.

Yesterday I made this recipe in the slow cooker. Some of it was gooey and some of it was burnt. I stirred it all together and it tasted better than I expected. In fact, it was delicious.

Next, I’ll make the “Mexican street corn” version.

Corn pudding is a calorie bomb. There were 625 kcals in yesterday’s serving of 250 g (a little less than 9 oz). I think corn pudding goes best with meatballs, meatloaf, chorizo, and the like. Those foods also are calorie bombs. Adopting corn pudding as your staple food is no way to live.

(“This is a fair assessment of corn pudding,” Karin says. “The good and the bad.”)