Ecuador 1, Brazil 1

Samuel is a well-read and affectionate little boy. Should he maintain his current interests, however, he is likely to become a wrestler for the WWE. Eighty percent of his waking hours are spent gleefully kicking, scratching, eye-gouging, headbutting, and bodyslamming his father. I don’t exaggerate; if he weren’t pint-sized, it would be unbearable.

Also, he doesn’t allow me to read. The last three weeks, I made it my priority to read one book. (I was out of renewals and needed to return it to the library.) It was an easy and entertaining book. I only got through half of it. I’ll blog about it should I ever finish the last two hundred pages.

Tonight Samuel is mugging me while I type. This afternoon he mugged me all during Ecuador’s World Cup qualifier against Brazil. Brazil scored in the first ten minutes; a little later, our goalie, Alexander Domínguez, was red-carded; a little after that, a Brazilian was red-carded. Then another Brazilian, the goalie Alisson, was red-carded, but his red card was rescinded by the VAR. In the second half, we were awarded a penalty kick; it was rescinded by the VAR. Then we scored the tying goal from a corner kick. Then we were awarded another penalty kick and Alisson was red-carded a second time, but again the foul and red card were rescinded by the VAR.


I thought the Brazilians managed the game quite well, though they didn’t create many scoring chances. For Ecuador, it was good to earn the draw after such an awful start.

We have three more matches to play. If we win Tuesday night’s match, away to Peru, our qualification will be guaranteed. Many other scenarios also would allow us to qualify.

It is still very cold and snowy, and Karin has built a shelter in our back yard for stray cats, using plastic bins and straw.