January’s poems

The previous entry got many, many more views than my entries usually get. It’s gratifying, but I can’t rely on McKenzie and Uncle Fred for copy every time.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

“After Henry” by Joan Didion (R.I.P.) is the Library of America’s newest Story of the Week.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

This Christmas, Karin’s friend Nora bought some Mother Goose books for Samuel. They are illustrated by Rosemary Wells and edited by Iona Opie (who, along with Peter Opie, compiled that pleasing folk-book, The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren).

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
My mother said
That I never should
Play with the pixies
In the wood;
The wood was dark,
The grass was green,
Up comes Sally
With a tambourine;
I went to the river,
I couldn’t get across,
I paid ten shillings
For an old blind horse;
I jumped on his back
And off in a crack,
Sally tell my mother
That I’m coming right back.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

I could read these rhymes to Samuel all day long.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Donkey, donkey, old and gray,
Open your mouth and gently bray,
Lift your ears and blow your horn
To wake the world this sleepy morn.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯


Karin bought some cheap musical instruments for Samuel. I played “Mary Had a Little Lamb” on the recorder for him. He thought it hilarious and walked around panting the notes like a laryngitic dog (which is how that recorder sounds, more or less).