The homework machine; “Peruvians live in Peru”; classic toons

I found, on YouTube, a record that I used to listen to when I was a child in Esmeraldas: Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine.

Side 1:


Side 2:


Along with the Hardy Boys novels, this record introduced me to U.S. teenhood. From it I picked up 1950s–1960s lingo (This must be how teenagers talk, I thought) and some regrettable attitudes about doing homework.

The story is told as a musical. When I was a child, I didn’t relish this. Now I think the songs are pretty funny:
Girls are a pain
You know what I mean
They like going shopping
And they like keeping clean
And now I realize that the characters are pre-teens, not teenagers.

The best song is by a girl whose computer-generated report on Peru has been sabotaged; and who, therefore, must “wing it,” Sally Brown-style, in front of the class:
Peruvians live in Peru
Just like you’d expect them to do
Just like Romans live in Rome
And the Finns make Finland their home
Peruvians live in Peru
Just like you’d expect them to do
I like it that her classmates start singing along with this drivel. Then the song morphs into a mariachi or whatever. Wrong country … but this does reflect the student’s predicament.

Samuel was fascinated by all of this – the songs, the disembodied dialog (he hasn’t heard many podcasts or radio dramas), and, especially, the computer noises.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

An even better find: five hours of classic Looney Tunes, gorgeously remastered.


It’s a pleasure to watch old favorites like “A Corny Concerto” (the second cartoon in the video) looking this good.

Samuel liked this pretty well, too.