A few words before sleep

Yesterday, another ludicrous display on the soccer field.

It may be time for me to retire …

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Quite a storm tonight. Rain, loud thunder, brief power outage, etc. The whole family enjoyed it together in bed.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Today I finished reading the main deuterocanonical books – those accepted by Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christians, but not by Protestants. I shall go on to read 1 and 2 Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh (canonical for the Orthodox but not for Catholics). I don’t think I own any bibles with 3 and 4 Maccabees, but I’ll look around.

Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) was the most rewarding book to read, by far. Sirach 44:1 – “Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us …” – was the only deuterocanonical verse I knew before I started reading these texts. Unfortunately, what came after that verse was less rewarding than the 43 prior chapters.

These are just gut-level reactions. Obviously, I am no scholar; nor do I wish to pose as a connoisseur.

Because of this project, and because of coincidences in my devotional and church reading schedules, I have gone through the book of Esther, in one version or another, four times in the last year.