House hunting, chapter the last

Since Monday night, I’ve been limping due to a painful blister upon one of my toes. (The cleats are to blame.) I haven’t been able to run or even mow the lawn.

How is such a small injury so debilitating? This feels less like a flesh wound, more like a broken toe.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

It’s just as well that I’ve been confined to the house. Lightning has been striking nearby, and violent winds have been blowing; yesterday they blew the screen off Samuel’s window and carried it as far as the neighbor’s fence. Karin brought the screen inside and propped it against a kitchen wall next to the onions, potatoes, and Gerber meals.

I limped around the yard and picked up fallen branches as a prelude to the mowing that I was unable to do.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Soon, I’ll have to mow the lawns of two houses: the one we live in now, into which my parents plan to move; and the one across town that Karin & I just bought.

Yes, we now own that house; although, due a technicality, we haven’t finished buying it, because it’s still possible for us to add to the down payment – which, indeed, we plan to do.

For now, I’m glad to have a place in which to live, and that it was providentially priced. Of the houses we bid on, this was the cheapest by $30,000; we obtained it for what most houses like this one would’ve cost before prices skyrocketed.

Also, among the houses we tried to buy, this one had the most bedrooms.

What is more, this is the only house where we were greeted by a neighbor. He offered to mow our lawn, for a fee. We might employ him until we move in.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

While we waited for the sellers to finish signing their documents, our realtor showed us this grim YouTube video of what the housing market has been like these last months. I guess he felt comfortable sharing it because we came away with a decent deal instead of an overpriced heap of rubble. This wasn’t due to any virtue on our part, however. All we did was lose the expensive bids and win the cheap one. Providentially.