Giving credit to whom it’s due

Because of rainstorms, social engagements, etc., I allowed the lawns to go uncut for two weeks. I mowed yesterday and today. I had to go at a snail’s pace. I used up several tanks of gas.

When I went back into the house tonight, I was exhausted. Karin was feeding Samuel and watching videos of a man unclogging the drains of torrentially flooded streets.

At first, I was impatient. After a while, I decided the videos were amazing.

This man unclogs drains – for free – because that is what he loves to do. He delights in creating whirlpools. He loathes to see motorists driving on the sidewalk; he also must put up with their reckless splashing.

He is a hero.

Moreover, he is a compelling, unpretentious narrator. He could be a teacher or a play-by-play sports announcer. Fortunately for us, what he really enjoys is clearing out drains.


At the end of this video, he tells us that he has to rush off to other flood-prone areas to unclog some more drains.

This man is an excellent human being.