A pleasant Sunday

Excellent weather this weekend. It rained all of Friday, then was cool yesterday and today. It also rained a little this morning. Our church service was moved from the parking lot into the gym, so we boycotted it (or, rather, we self-quarantined at home).

Later, we strolled Samuel around Mishawaka’s riverwalk. He stayed awake until the final minutes.

Karin constantly looked at her phone. “Let’s go stand there, near that part of the river,” she said.

I pointed out that it was near some teenagers who were doing jumps with their skateboards. Karin usually doesn’t like teenagers. When we watched the new comedy Banana Split, Karin said she wouldn’t relive high school for a million dollars.

But this time, she surprised me: “It’s all right. I’m doing battle.”

I was reminded of that famous saying of the Scottish minister Ian MacLaren: “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle of Pokémon Go.”

We met our pastor and his wife on the trail. They were out walking with their two-year-old daughter.

“We skipped church because it was held indoors,” I said.

“Probably for the best,” they said. “People came rather close to one another this morning.”

My apologetics textbooks have arrived, and I’m educating myself. I’d never studied the different methodological camps. Presuppositionalism seems like a non-starter. It’s very strange to look at the world, and even at such texts as Saint Paul’s Athenian discourse (Acts 17), through the eyes of an extreme Calvinist.