Jury duty; a rainstorm; Messi vs. Kanté; a trip

Today I performed my jury service, or I would have done, except that the trial was canceled. I was absent from work and lost a day’s wages. But it was just as well that I didn’t go to IUSB. The walk would have been miserable: out of my living room window, I saw rain pouring down, hour after hour.

In the afternoon, I watched Chelsea and Barcelona play the first leg of their UEFA Champions League home-and-away series. I was especially interested in the duel between Lionel Messi and N’Golo Kanté. Kanté defended against Messi as well as anybody I’ve seen has done. He didn’t allow Messi to dribble past him or to make penetrating passes. Once, I saw him guard Messi for a few feet, then switch off from him, and then cunningly intercept the pass that Messi gave.

I decided that Kanté is a better defender than Real Madrid’s Casemiro, who resorts to fouling Messi. Messi likes to bully Casemiro by dribbling directly at him; however, when Messi was guarded by Kanté today, he respectfully dribbled from side to side.

One other bit of news: Karin & I have bought plane tickets to Austin, Texas, to visit Ana & David during my spring break.