A slushy Valentine’s

My mother’s new passport was issued in the nick of time, and so she flew to Ecuador.

Goodbye, Mother.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

It’s been warmer in South Bend. Today, it rained, and the snow slushed itself away. Icicles came crashing down from the awnings of our building. (I’d gaze up fearfully whenever I would pass under them.)

Last night, a giant water droplet slid down an icicle and plunked me in the eye.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

For our St. Valentine’s meal, Karin & I drove hither and thither, looking for an emptyish restaurant. All the parking lots were full. We settled for the food court at the mall, which, that night, was like a ghost town.

My buffet server was ecstatic to have a client. He heaped the food up in my styrofoam box.

“OK,” he said, “for three items and one drink, we give you one dollar off. ‘Valentine Special’.”

I tipped him two dollars.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Karin just figured out our taxes. This year, we’ll get a refund. 😊