More fragments of April

Another month feebly chronicled. The epistle demanded my full attention.

I did send it in, last Thursday. That night, the Chairman of the Board replied that he would forward it to his fellow Trustees. His tone was friendly. He thought I was my uncle (a rather well-known figure at the College). I told him I was glad my letter would be read.

For some days afterward, I worried whether I’d chosen the proper font, but then I decided that I had.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

What with the springtime, the lawn is longer. It’s grown especially long over the spot where, last fall, we buried the mouse.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

One more day to finish this year’s book-reading. I’ve given up. (Next year, I’ll do better.) Lately, I’ve been reading essays about political libertarianism and conservatism. Here are belief-systems which depend on the most incredible historic claims. How to make these systems plausible? This challenge frightens off all but the boldest thinkers. I understand now why so many lifelong atheists study religion sympathetically, and why some of them convert.