A February stroll

An early spring, says Punxsutawney Phil, whose predictive record is mixed (good on temperature, bad on seasonal change). What with yesterday’s fifty-plus Fahrenheit degrees, we led our boys on a long walk through the parking lots of Western Avenue. Karin was carrying a gift card, so we popped into a Dairy Queen, rested in the armchairs of the café section, watched a couple of awful sitcoms on the big TV, and snacked. The boys mostly behaved themselves.

(As I write this, in the sanctity of our home, Samuel lies next to me on the sofa; Daniel climbs up the back of the sofa and jumps on Samuel; then, Samuel twists Daniel’s nose. Rinse, repeat. They think it’s a great game. I think it’s a great way to break someone’s bones. Mine, probably.)

(I should have finished reading King Solomon’s Mines by now, but Daniel threw it from a great height and broke its spine. My new used copy should arrive tomorrow.)

Anyway. We also toured a small African/Caribbean food mart. It sells unusual tubers, legumes, grains, flours, and many kinds of rice and canned herring. Of course I wouldn’t know what to do with most of these foods. I was familiar with certain Goya products: plantain chips; cassava/yuca chips; and malta, which I am curious to see Karin try some day.

I would have bought some chips out of politeness, but the clerk stayed in the back office, on her phone, and I thought it kinder not to disturb her.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

In case you wonder why the fonts look different: The website that provided URW Classico got glitchy, so I switched back to Charter for the body text and to IM Fell French Canon for the blog post titles.