Murders on Orient Expresses

Hail to the Chiefs! Great team; great Super Bowl.

I tire of seeing the same teams succeed; but I wouldn’t mind if Reid, Mahomes & Co. kept on winning. This is saying something. I’ve despised the Chiefs most of my life.

I wish Travis Kelce & Taylor Swift all the best. ❤

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Speaking again of Kenneth Branagh: Here is a lovely video contrasting his (2017) and Sidney Lumet’s (1974) versions of Murder on the Orient Express.


I haven’t seen either movie. I don’t like the novel, although I love Christie and this is one of her most acclaimed works.

Cinema – Lumet’s kind, anyway – might be the best format for this story. What distinguishes each of these briskly treated characters is physicality: wrinkles, sex appeal, vigor, accent, clothes, etc. Stuff of cinema.

Christie was a dramatist, too. That’s what those suspects-gathered-in-one-room scenes at the end of her novels really are: theatre.