An update about the pork: Or, what we did this weekend

The pork has been cooked and pulled. It required hours and hours of labor. Karin & I took turns tearing strips of meat off the bones and putting them into baggies for freezing (1 lb. in each baggie).

We employed different techniques. I bagged the meat together with the fat and the skin. Karin separated the fat and the skin from the meat; then, she fried the skin strips, for snacking, and saved the bones, for brothing.

Jasper and Ziva lurked close by.

I’ve been trying hard to stay within my caloric budget. To eat a decent quantity of pork in one sitting, I must forego its garnishes: sauces, coleslaw, etc.

We’ve had one pork meal so far. I ate my pork with a nearly plain baked potato.

Tonight, we went to Karin’s mom’s house for the monthly family dinner. A lot of my in-laws on that side of the family have worked as cooks. I wasn’t about to brag about how we had managed to cook our pulled pork.

They had plenty to talk about, anyway: shooting ranges; home arsenals; the bar scene; enormous, muscular bouncers with gentle dispositions; bouncers who work at shooting ranges, who used to be prison guards; and where in the Bible it says that God never gives you more trouble than you can handle (it says it nowhere, Karin’s seminary-trained mother told them; the idea that the Bible says this is hogwash).