Obama’s elf

Another week, another successful mowing of the lawn. Karin went to the dentist’s today. She brought home a complimentary goody bag with a toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. I didn’t notice these goodies until I saw Samuel carrying them around the house. He also emptied a bottle of “Flavor Chews” (off-brand TUMS) onto the floor.

At bedtime, I told Samuel to quit the living room, and I turned out the lights. I waited. He didn’t come out. I went into the dark living room and found him lying on the couch under a textbook and a blanket, his hands behind his head, his expression serene and prepared. I carried him to his crib. I went to Karin and read to her from Saki’s Beasts and Super-Beasts. This night’s story, “Laura,” was one of those to do with a super-beast.

Daniel has started to laugh.

It is better to be in a family than to be Obama’s Elf.