May’s poems

So, the lawns aren’t looking good. They ought to have been cut two or three weeks ago. I left gasoline in the mower all winter, and the mower won’t start.

Our air conditioner isn’t working, either. But we have been using fans, and the house is quite livable.

Since Daniel was born, I’ve gained approx. 25 lbs.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

And now, three poems from The Norton Book of Light Verse.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
The Hen it is a noble beast;
The cow is more forlorner,
Standing in the rain
With a leg at every corner.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

(William McGonagall)

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
If I were a cassowary
On the plains of Timbuctoo,
I would eat a missionary,
Cassock, bands and hymn-book too.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

(Samuel Wilberforce)

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
What a wonderful bird the frog are
When he stand he sit almost
When he hop, he fly almost.
He ain’t got no sense hardly;
He ain’t got no tail hardly either.
When he sit, he sit on what he ain’t got almost.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

(Anonymous)

This last poem is for my sons.