Quarantining, cont.

Thursday was rough for Samuel – for all of us, really – as he came down with a fever. We called his doctor’s office and were advised to take him to the emergency room. So that’s what Karin did. (Her time of contagiousness had just ended.) I stayed at home. The emergency room doctor was pretty snippy with Karin until Samuel’s COVID test came back positive. Then the doctor’s tone changed. Samuel was x-rayed, given two doses of strong medicine, allowed to take a long nap in the hospital, and then sent home.

Friday, he again had a fever, but we soon brought it down; yesterday, he was better still.

Friday, also, I turned forty. It was odd to spend all of a birthday indoors. (I may have put a foot out on the front porch, to bring in the mail.)

I did what I like to do on my birthday, which is to subject Karin to one of my favorite movies; this year, it was Barcelona. Here is some funny trivia from the IMDb: “The plot was first suggested to director Whit Stillman when he heard of An Officer and a Gentleman (1982) and thought it referred to two different people.”

If I am not mistaken, Wednesday will be the first day that I can leave the house. Samuel will have to be quarantined several days longer.