I return to the field

I played soccer for the first time since … when? 2017? 2018? … so long ago, I can’t be sure of the year.

A few of the old regulars were there, most of them playing worse than they used to.

I certainly played worse than I used to, since I couldn’t move, i.e., dribble, defend, turn my body, or plant my foot to shoot. I couldn’t pass, either. When I’d strike the ball, it would consistently end up a yard off target.

So, I had no recourse but to drift behind the more mobile players and try to poach goals. I scored three. It was pretty crafty.

I also richocheted a shot off the post; and the only cross I attempted, one of the decent players headed in.

I wonder what the new players thought of me. Probably, This guy is terrible; why is he scoring so many goals? They cheered a little too heartily, too patronizingly, when I scored the first two goals. I’m sure they thought I was lucky. So I saved the last goal for the end of the game and used the outside of my foot to drive the ball in at the near post. That was somewhat risky but, I hope, sufficiently ostentatious.

Two days later, I’m so sore that I’m having serious trouble standing up.

Tomorrow, I’ll need to ambulate well enough to mow the lawn.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Karin & I toured a very nice house. We tried to place an offer that night, but another offer had been accepted.