House hunting

You’ll recall that we have been living in my parents’ house while they’ve remained in Ecuador. Well, their arrival isn’t imminent, but neither is it far off. And since real estate is likely to get more expensive in the next year or so, Karin & I have begun shopping for a house.

It isn’t pleasant. Shopping for books is pleasant: no single book has the potential to bankrupt you. Not so with houses.

Also, I know something about buying books. I know very little about buying houses.

To me, most houses look pretty good. I’m oblivious to many inconveniences. I’m even more oblivious to problems that would diminish the resale value of a house.

Karin & I visited two properties this week. Samuel was delighted to run around in them. One of the houses looked out upon a busy street. The other had broken glass on its basement floor, and there were pitbulls living next door. So, this is something else to worry about: Will this property be a death-trap for our son?

Already we see manifest what I’ve read about, that many cheap houses are bought by large companies and quickly “flipped,” i.e., cosmetically improved and then resold at a much higher price – often to buyers who wish to earn “turn-key” rental income. Meanwhile, buyers who actually need a dwelling are priced out. There oughta be a law …
When I was ten years old, I was rich, I was an aristocrat. Riding around in taxis, surrounded by comfort, and all I thought about was art and music. Now, I’m thirty-six, and all I think about is money.
Was Wallace Shawn really just thirty-six in My Dinner with Andre?

Was I really just eighteen when I saw that movie?

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

A good book I’d never read until this month: C.S. Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms.