Our trip to the east

A fright

Last night, we were zipping along the Ohio Turnpike at 70 mph when the gigantic face of Chucky the killer doll loomed over us on an outdoor theater screen. Karin almost drove off the road.

Airbnb

It was our first time using the service. It went very smoothly and cost just $40.

Breakfast at a hipster restaurant in Cleveland

Karin’s colleague asked her to send pictures of our meals.

So Karin photographed my burrito:


The Southern Tier Expressway

This is one of my favorite U.S. roads. It’s fast, uncrowded, curvy, hilly, and lush. It runs next to gorges, small towns, and picturesque 19th-century farms with red barns and grazing cattle.

We stopped for lunch at Tim Horton’s in Jamestown. The steep streets and old buildings reminded me of Ithaca (still almost 200 miles away) and considerably lifted my spirits. Until then, I hadn’t realized how strongly I’d missed the region.

Our baby did summersaults in Karin’s belly all afternoon.

The old Salvationists

Karin got her first glimpse of Ithaca from several miles away. She marveled at its beauty. But rather than enter the city, we turned up a narrow, steep road to the town of Danby. There, the Salvationists were eagerly awaiting us.

They gave us supper and recited their ailments. But, to me, they seemed not to have aged very much at all.