Our trip to the east, pt. 3

What I’d forgotten about Ithaca is that you’re always climbing. The hills are steep; worse, the buildings tend to have lots of stairs. Ithacans are used to this. Karin & I are not.

Yesterday, at Karin’s prompting, we climbed up one of the gorges – just after having breakfasted more than was good for us. Of course, we left the car at the bottom of the gorge, so that when we reached the top we had no choice but to climb right back down again.

We were pretty well ruined after that. No matter: we dragged ourselves around to my other old haunts.

Karin told me the baby kicked and kicked, as if to say, What ARE you doing.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Today, I defended my dissertation. It received a result of “pass.”

Everyone was very kind. I was put at ease when Derk, the first committee member to arrive, told me what a lovely dissertation I’d written.

The hero of the occasion was my old teacher, Nick, who agreed to serve on my committee despite having retired seven years earlier. He’s physically infirm. And yet he played a crucial role during the defense, asking sharp questions and providing encouragement.

It was poignant to learn of the intention of my adviser, Dick, to retire at the end of this month. As I’ve been completing my degree, he’s been wrapping up his career.

Karin also was present at the defense – as was my son.