I am lavished with more gifts

I wish everyone a happy Carlos Muñoz Day. In South Bend, it’s seven degrees, Fahrenheit (“feels like −8°,” says the Weather Channel). There’s no way, no way, I’ll leave the house unless it’s to eat in a restaurant.

The Xmas dust has nearly all settled. Karin’s relations don’t practice the “Secret Santa” method of giving; instead, everyone gives to everyone. Karin gave to her little nephew and niece a miniature toilet that sprays water on people’s faces. This gift was hugely successful. In turn, Karin & I received a Crock-Pot, slightly better than the one we already had; a coffee maker, slightly better than what we had; and lots of candy. Karin’s dad gave me a t-shirt that says got philosophy? Karin’s mom gave me a book: Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul. One of its contributing authors was David’s teacher at Western Michigan University; I’m dismayed that his contribution, “Could Batman Have Been the Joker?,” isn’t listed on his C.V. The last gift from Karin’s mom is yet to be delivered: David Bentley Hart’s translation of the New Testament.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

On Saturday morning, I awoke at 7:00 to watch the Spanish clásico. It was worth the early rising. Messi was brilliant. The two goalkeepers, Navas and ter Stegen, were brilliant. But the game’s best play was by Sergio Busquets, who set up the first goal with a few calm turns and a short pass to Ivan Rakitić deep in Barcelona’s half of the field. As soon as Rakitić touched the ball, I could see that everything would “break” for Barcelona, that Real’s defenders would be drawn out of position and Barcelona would “run the table” and score. It was one of the best goals I’d seen all year.

After the game, some commentators talked about how this clásico lacked luster, how Barcelona and Real Madrid are in dynastic twilight. Nonsense. As long as Messi and Busquets are playing, Barcelona will be a special team.