Following a tumultuous afternoon: a conversation with my chastened first-grader
Samuel: “Look at what I’m drawing, Dad.”
He shows me his LCD drawing tablet.
John-Paul: “Is that a ‘peace’ sign?”
Samuel: “Yes. Today is International Peace Day.”
John-Paul: “So it is. Did you learn that at school?”
Samuel: “Yes.”
I briefly reflect on this country’s wars. I decide to let the matter pass.
John-Paul: “That’s good.”
Samuel: “I’m drawing this ‘peace’ sign to calm myself.”
He’s banned from TV this evening.
Samuel: “Now I’m turning the ‘peace’ sign into a crying emoji.”
He does.
He presses the button to clear the screen.
Samuel: “I’m writing with a colored pencil because I’ve lost the stylus.”
I hadn’t known, or had forgotten, that the instrument is called a stylus.
He shows me the screen. He has written:
peace = calm
He shows me his LCD drawing tablet.
John-Paul: “Is that a ‘peace’ sign?”
Samuel: “Yes. Today is International Peace Day.”
John-Paul: “So it is. Did you learn that at school?”
Samuel: “Yes.”
I briefly reflect on this country’s wars. I decide to let the matter pass.
John-Paul: “That’s good.”
Samuel: “I’m drawing this ‘peace’ sign to calm myself.”
He’s banned from TV this evening.
Samuel: “Now I’m turning the ‘peace’ sign into a crying emoji.”
He does.
He presses the button to clear the screen.
Samuel: “I’m writing with a colored pencil because I’ve lost the stylus.”
I hadn’t known, or had forgotten, that the instrument is called a stylus.
He shows me the screen. He has written:
peace = calm