A few small victories and defeats

We bought a new digital scale. As soon as we’d removed it from the package, inserted the batteries, and weighed ourselves on it once, Samuel threw it down the stairs, and it broke.

Mercifully, Karin was able to fix it. Today I am several lbs. lighter.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

This morning the toilet overflowed, due, in no small part, to Samuel’s supremely inefficient use of it. (It was my fault, too; in the chaos of aiding Samuel, I flushed too many times.) While I was wiping down the bathroom floor, Daniel sneaked off with the shaving cream and slathered it upon himself.

I grabbed the shaving cream can, put it on the kitchen counter, and tossed Daniel into the shower.

When I’d finished cleaning and dressing Daniel, I returned to the kitchen. There was Samuel, covering that room – and himself – with the shaving cream.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I was holding Daniel on my lap, and Ziva climbed into the armchair with us – quite a nice thing to do, given that the children often terrorize the kitties. Daniel responded by speaking two new words: “Ziva” (Zee-ah) and “cat.”

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I took Samuel and Daniel to the library for a couple of hours. They mostly played with the toys. (They have toys at home, but the library’s are different.) I pulled Harry Potter off the shelf and read bits of it while keeping an eye on the boys.

As we were leaving, Samuel discovered that one of the library’s touchscreens has a language setting. He touched a couple of icons and changed the language to Swedish.

The rest of the day, he’s been talking about “the libraries in Sweden.”

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Argentina and Ecuador will play in Buenos Aires tomorrow night: our first World Cup qualifier.