Parenting, round 2; “Bluebeard”

Daniel hasn’t been a great one for sitting still and being read to, but yesterday he badgered me into reading Dr. Seuss’s ABC five times in one hour. Like Samuel before him, he laughed and laughed at the page with the Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz.

The rest of the morning, he followed me from one piece of furniture to the next, around and around the house, committing violence against me (and against the house). That, too, reminded me of how Samuel used to behave at that age.

I had to lock Samuel away from Daniel, in the basement, for his own safety.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Today I am watching Daniel walk down the stairs feet first (which Samuel only started doing a few weeks ago). He isn’t quite tall enough. Wherever a step doesn’t provide him a bannister to hold onto, he slides down on his bottom.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Are you the right man for me?
Are you safe, are you my friend?
Or are you toxic for me?
Will you betray my confidence?

This is from the Cocteau Twins’ “Bluebeard” …


I post this song as a tribute to Cho Chang.