Closing credits

This year, I read at least two books by each of these authors:
  • Henning Mankell (Faceless Killers; The Dogs of Riga)
  • Joe Queenan (One for the Books; Red Lobster, White Trash, and the Blue Lagoon)
  • Sally Rooney (Conversations with Friends; Normal People; Beautiful World, Where Are You)
  • Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis 1 and 2)
  • Jim Thompson (The Killer Inside Me; Pop. 1280)
  • Sylvia Townsend Warner (Lolly Willowes; Mr. Fortune’s Maggot)
A few of these books, I’m still working on, but I’ll’ve finished them by January 1.

Also, I enjoyed these authors:
  • H. W. Brands (I finished Dreams of El Dorado)
  • Ben Macintyre (I finished The Spy and the Traitor)
They both write popular histories/biographies. I can’t commend them enough: almost every page is rewarding.

I’m not including such deserving authors as Beatrix Potter and Margaret Wise Brown. Not because I didn’t read enough of their books or because those books are for children or are too short, but because I didn’t read them for my own sake. I also read lots of Mother Goose.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Rooney’s Conversations with Friends may have been my favorite read of the year. That, or Roughing It, which is hilarious but doesn’t have the same narrative urgency as Conversations with Friends, even though some chapters of Roughing It are life-or-death. (Being a coming-of-age tale, Conversations only feels like it is life-or-death.) The lesson of Roughing It is this. The people of the United States are compulsive liars; also, they love to believe lies. It becomes less strange, upon reading Twain, that Donald Trump should have been elected President. The predilection for outlandish untruth has been around for a long time. Twain lampoons the lying while himself resorting to embellishment. I suppose that as a satirist, that is his right.

Chapter I of Pudd’nhead Wilson has this epigraph: “Tell the truth or trump – but get the trick.”

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Otherwise, this hasn’t been a year for getting through the classics. I did finish reading the Purgatorio. I am eager to read the Paradiso so that I can move on to the Decameron, which I became perversely eager for after I saw The Little Hours.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

On to the domestic front. I obtained a new stepfather-in-law. A nephew and a niece were born to me. My son Daniel was born in February. He’s now been outside his mother longer than he was inside her (unless each of us, in his or her earliest stage of development, is a pre-fertilized egg). For a couple of months Daniel seemed not to have a personality. Now he is an enterprising, zestful, strong-willed young man. Samuel likes him but constantly knocks him down or pushes him away, usually due to some property dispute. Daniel has learned to push back. I’m disturbed and pleased. Every night, I pray for my sons to love each other and get along; but I also want them to fight for the good, and being able to fight for the good entails being able to fight.

Ziva is the same as always: desirous of being stroked, she wakes me in the night. Jasper seemed ill – he lost many lbs. – but today the veterinarian confirmed that it’s because of the dieting we’ve been forcing him to do (he’s at his ideal weight for the first time since he took to stealing Ziva’s kitten food). Karin & I have continued our march through British TV. This has been the year of the Hobbit-like actor Ken Stott, who appears in the police procedurals Crime and, with Caroline Catz, The Vice; and of Catz’s sadly truncated Murder in Suburbia, in which two unmarried, lovelorn policewomen investigate crimes by “Karens” (“Grangerites,” in South Bend parlance). So, nothing too profound.

Of course, we all watched the World Cup.

We also explored our new neighborhood. I regularly visited the local library branch. I’d check out books and print out journal articles (up to 33 B&W pp./day, gratis). This library branch has a reputation for patron misbehavior – I learned this when I interviewed for a job there a few years ago – but I haven’t observed a single episode. This really is a tranquil part of town in which to live.