Queen & corgi

Tumblr: not my usual corner of the Internet. People there are not good.

That bit about the corgis being put to death is like a sick instance of the “telephone” game. The original quote that Tumblr garbles is reprinted here, in Newsweek.

(I do like the Tumblr post about Les Mis. and Hamilton.)

Another quote from the Newsweek article. “Strip away the wealth, the privilege and the palaces, and the bond [Elizabeth] has with her dogs is no different from the bond the rest of us have [with] ours, no matter our station in life,” a Queen-&-corgi expert says.

True, and worth thinking about. And not as exonerating as one would wish. Some serious baddies loved (or “loved”) their dogs.

Still, I have no reason to think that the Queen didn’t love hers in the most humane and relatable way. R.I.P.


After the Queen died, I went down a better-documented but no less morbid tunnel of Internet research. The reigns of James VI/I and Charles I were worth mining. The most notable discovery was the life-story of Frances Carr, Countess of Somerset (1590–1632). The Countess avoided being executed while (“whilst”) four other people were hanged for her crime.