An aborted journey; we finish Midsomer murders; body-text fonts, pt. 7: Janson Text

My parents set out yesterday for a tour of Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, one or both Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and I forget where else. How I envied them! They got as far as Illinois, and then my mother tested positive for COVID.

So, now, they’re back.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

This month’s typeface is Janson Text.


(A crooked but stimulating observation.)

Some say this typeface is the best of the Jansons. I wish it had a longer-tailed Q, as Monotype Janson has.

Also, everything depends on what you count as a Janson. Is Ehrhardt a Janson? Now, there’s a question.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

It took five years, but Karin & I finished viewing all of Midsomer Murders. Twenty-two seasons; 132 episodes of 90–100 minutes.

My overall assessment:

Grainier picture → better episode.

More French horn → better episode.

More scenes with Joyce Barnaby and Cully Barnaby → better episode.

Teleplay by Anthony Horowitz → better episode.

In other words: the earlier, the better (as a rule).

As it happens, we concluded the project with an early episode: S2E3, “Dead Man’s Eleven,” about the cricket. When we first tried it – four years ago? – I couldn’t stay awake, due to my sleep apnea.

I don’t know if more episodes will be released.

Whatever will we do when we run out of Midsomer Murders?, I used to lament.

Karin suggested: Watch them again.

I think we shall.