Readings

What with heat indices of 100-plus (F) and a sputtering air conditioner, this has been a sultry week. The boys and I have spent much time in the cool basement. There is a precise boundary, on the basement staircase, between the cold and hot air masses.

More things I’ve been reading:

Joan Aiken, The Way to Write for Children. I thought this was terrific, even though I have no plans to write for children.

Ben Macintyre, The Spy and the Traitor.

Jim Thompson, The Killer Inside Me. What’s remarkable is how petty the narrator is. How twerpy. He gets as much (or more) of a thrill needling people as murdering them. I’m reminded of In Plain Sight, the TV series about the real-life Scottish serial killer Peter Manuel.

Sylvia Townsend Warner, Mr Fortune’s Maggot, about a South Seas missionary (and I just finished Lolly Willowes).

All of Montaigne. This could take a while.