I♥SB

Samuel: “I yuv South Bend.”

The little weirdo. This isn’t something Karin & I say to each other. And how could Samuel love South Bend when he doesn’t even go out of the house?

Maybe he’s been reading my old pastor’s web posts. (My old pastor’s current job is “city engagement pastor” at South Bend City Church.)

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Karin’s dad visits. He tells us that he attended a comic book convention, one county to the east. John Heder of Napoleon Dynamite was there.

Samuel: “I yuv Star Trek.”

Good grief, son.

Karin’s dad is delighted.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Flashback: some weeks ago, at Karin’s dad’s house, I pick up and read a humorous detective novel by Texas Jewboys frontman Kinky Friedman.

Two or three days pass.

A week passes.

All the while, I have the urge to read more Kinky Friedman.

So, I buy More Kinky Friedman, Friedman’s second omnibus. Then I buy his first omnibus. Then I buy his third omnibus (Even More Kinky Friedman).

Back to today:

Samuel gets his hands upon the first omnibus. “Kinky Friedman!” he exclaims, brightly. He sits down with the book. “Chapter 1,” he says. “Chapter 2.” He keeps on paging through the volume. “Chapter 46.” Yes, there are a lot of chapters. They’re short. That’s one reason why I like reading Kinky Friedman. I can get through a chapter or two before Samuel climbs on me and jumps up and down.

Then Samuel goes back to the beginning and counts the chapters again. Then he reaches for a crayon and draws in the book. His drawing is mildly obscene.