Ecuador 1, Argentina 1

In Guayaquil, Argentina had us under control; and then, at the 89th minute, the VAR awarded us a penalty kick. It was blocked, but the taker, Enner Valencia, put in the rebound. I think we are not very good, compared to Argentina.

I looked at Qatar on Google Maps. No two World Cup stadia are separated by more than an hour’s drive, or a thirteen-hour walk.

Example 1.

Example 2.

Here is a stadium built of shipping containers.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I am so behind on my reading, I’ll have to finish nine books next month to meet my quota. (I begin counting titles each May and conclude the following April.)

I’ve again taken up the Commedia. The end of Purgatory is near. Some passages – e.g., the one with the Siren – are stunningly good; others are tedious; some are kinda weird; and some, like these lines from canto XXI, are shocking:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
In the days when good Titus, with the aid
of the Almighty King, avenged the wounds
that poured the blood Iscariot betrayed …
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

(Translator: John Ciardi)

Um, which “good” Titus is this? Surely not …
Roman Emperor, A.D. 79–81. In A.D. 70 in the reign of his father Vespasian, Titus besieged and took Jerusalem. Thus, with God’s help, Rome avenged the death (the wounds) of Christ. So Dante, within his inevitable parochialism, chose to take that passage of history. The Jews, one may be sure, found less cause for rejoicing in the goodness of Titus.
[Translator’s note]
Within my own “inevitable parochialism,” I am a little horrified.

Dante is a master, and I’m just a guy. But … my goodness. On the one hand, he’s very careful about the position of the sun over Mt. Purgatory. On the other, he seems very casual with his name-dropping. Sometimes, he saddles a penitent soul with the sins of two historical people with the same name.

My favorite character is the first-century poet Statius, who has a celebrity-crush on Virgil. As Dante tells it, Statius clandestinely converted to Christianity. There is no evidence that he really did so; his role in the poem is to personify Christianity’s appropriation of the best aspects of pagan Rome. Dante is so proud of Rome, he reminds me of a “God and Founding Fathers” evangelical.

I’m woefully ignorant of the history of sola scriptura. I wonder, were the Reformers (non-Italians) driven to it because they were fed up with this sort of thing?