Waiting

After weeks under the cover of deep snow – during which Samuel and I hardly ever left the house – we had two days of warmth and rain. Almost all the snow was melted. I took Samuel strolling; he was pleased to travel through the puddles. Then, this morning, Karin & I looked out the kitchen window and were amazed to see a field of shaggy grass. We’d almost forgotten that we own grass.

But a couple of hours later, everything, again, was covered in snow.

If I go into labor tonight, Karin says, it won’t be easy to get to the hospital.

Karin’s belly is so enormous now, she doesn’t like to go up and down the basement stairs. I have brought the TV upstairs, to the front parlor. This has changed the whole ecology of the house.

Apart from the matter of the TV, we are expecting a great change by Tuesday the 22nd. Labor will be induced late at night on the 21st, if the baby hasn’t already been born.