The women are up to something

This biography of the Oxonians Anscombe, Foot, Midgley, and Murdoch has been receiving buzz and now is endorsed by Thomas Nagel, the best reviewer of philosophical books of general interest. I expect that not a few upper-level seminars will be taught at Christian colleges on this episode in the history of philosophy – Anscombe is our (very judgmental) co-religionist – as well as upon one or two of Murdoch’s novels, because novels are fun. (The biography also touches upon Ayer, Austin, Hare, the French existentialists, and of course Wittgenstein.) I certainly am itching to design such a class, whether or not I’d teach it. Would Samuel allow me time for this pointless project? Would he even let me read through the book (not to mention, texts discussed in it that I haven’t read)? Would Samuel’s little brother allow it? It’s doubtful. Anscombe, famously, used to change her seven twerps’ diapers while conducting tutorials, and Midgley left the professoriate for many years to raise her children. So the endeavor would be personally as well as intellectually meaningful to me. And futile. And impossible.

Ben Lipscomb, the biographer, is interviewed here.