The perils of routine

Samuel constantly asks to be read to. Is this such a good thing? He seems rather desperate. If I’m not reading to him, he brings a book and slaps it down hard on my lap or face or computer; if I refuse him, he cries; if I begin to comply, he hyperventilates until I’ve picked him up and set him on my knee.

I wonder what I’m doing wrong with the child. He has good objectives, but his methods are terrible.

Today we read the original Madeline four times. We also read three of the sequels, and several books unrelated to Madeline. It must have been over three hundred pages – just of Madeline.

This can’t be good for him, can it?

His diet also needs more variety.

Repetition suited him well enough during his first year and a half outside of the womb. Lately, though, it seems to be making him bored and obsessive.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

World Cup qualifying has resumed in South America. Ecuador will play in Brazil tomorrow night, and at home, against Peru, on Tuesday.