Some lessons in geography

Today was warm and dry enough for strolling – Samuel was pleased.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I’ve been watching Capitani (Netflix). It’s a typical cop show, but the episodes are just 24 minutes long. That’s about all I can view without having to pause to look after Samuel.

The show’s location isn’t obvious at first. The language is sometimes like French, sometimes like German.

Switzerland?

No, not mountainous enough.

(The land is hilly and lushly vegetated, like my beloved upstate New York.)

Then I figured it out. Luxembourg. Aha.

Apparently, there are stark regional differences in that nation. The show’s “northerners” and “southerners” constantly disparage one another. So do city and country folk.

This show is set in the country. Village life is comfortable and modern. Houses aren’t especially rustic.

The army is always conducting maneuvers in the forest.

Everyone knows everyone else. Even so, it’s possible for citizens to disappear from the police.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Disoriented from this excursion into such a vast and untamed land, I put on some YouTube videos of San Marino, another country I’d never visited on TV or in the flesh. San Marino is easier to comprehend.

The government is seated in a castle at the top of a mountain – the country’s highest point. From there, one can easily gaze out, across ten Italian kilometers, all the way to the Adriatic.

Also, there are tourists everywhere.

I look forward to viewing the cop shows of San Marino.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

It would be remiss not to also mention Un mundo inmenso, my favorite geographical YouTube channel (Samuel is fond of it, too).

Finally, I recommend these photos of a yellow penguin. HT: National Geographic.