Little squirmo; reading; vampires; Kristen Stewart

A grueling week. Samuel is more restless than ever, but he can’t walk or crawl, and the floor seems too hard for him to practice on for very long. Throughout the day, I must either (a) hold him, (b) keep him strapped inside his chair, or (c) stay near him on a couch or bed, watching so that he doesn’t fall off. We’ll try to obtain a mat or some foam tiles to put over the rough wooden planks on the back porch.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Here’s some recent reading performed on the toilet – or else after Samuel’s bedtime (if I’m not blogging or philosophizing):
  • Patrick Allitt, I’m the Teacher, You’re the Student: A Semester in the University Classroom. A memoir of teaching a survey course on postbellum U.S. history. Quite funny. (The title, however, is no joke: the teacher/student hierarchy is constantly reinforced. Whether this is right or wrong, I won’t discuss here.)
  • J.M. Coetzee, Late Essays. Lots of interesting material to follow up on. Highlights so far: the essays on Philip Roth (mentioned here) and on Goethe’s Sorrows of Young Werther. I’m looking forward to the two essays on Patrick White.
  • C.P. Snow, Time of Hope. The first installment in the Strangers and Brothers series. A life story, narrated in a manner that is systematic, episodic, logical, unnovelistic. Uncanilly verisimilitudinous.
David has given me a dissertation chapter to read, so I’ll try to make time for that, too.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Karin will take a break from work tomorrow. She plans to view several Twilight movies and discuss them via text message with her friends. I’ve already sat with her for long stretches of two of these movies. I slept through most of the scenes but enjoyed watching one scene in which the vampires played baseball upon a gloomy field near the woods.

The movies are superior to the novels (or to the several hundred pages I read many years ago). Kristen Stewart is very good. I hope she gets to do a haunting grownup role some day.