Closing credits

In this last week of a momentous year, Karin & I are quite sick, and Samuel is sicker. He’s been congested, feverish, and lethargic. He’s struggled to breathe and to drink enough milk. At night, I’ve lain awake, worrying, listening to his creaks and gasps.

Mary helped us to take Samuel to the doctor.

Karin & I have decided to delay our move to my parents’ new house by one week.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

What more can I say of Samuel? Though it wrenches me to see him suffer, he’s a tremendous blessing. He’s so small, so quiet, so new. I regard him with awe.

Karin sacrifices herself for us. I do what I can for her and for Samuel; or, rather, I unceasingly think of what to do for them. I often fail to do it.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I’ve spent most of the year indoors, on couches or in armchairs. (It didn’t help that in January I sprained my ankle.) There were a few exhausting weeks outside the apartment – touring Ithaca with Karin; hunting for jobs in South Bend. On the whole, though, I’ve been sedentary, and I’ve felt poorly.

I don’t mean that I regret sitting with Samuel or finishing the Ph.D. On the contrary, they’re two of the best things I’ve done.

Both endeavors attracted many helpers. My dissertation’s “acknowledgments” section mentions dozens of people: Cornell philosophers, Ithaca Salvationists, family members, and many others who helped in one way or another to remove that millstone from me. And when I’d completed that project, I again found a large group eager to help with the project of raising a child. Apart from my family, I’m especially grateful to my fellow churchgoers.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I’m grateful, also, to the teenaged race walker Glenda Morejón for bringing glory to Ecuador this year. Ecuadorian soccer players also performed well in the U-17 and U-20 World Cups. (The grownup team looked hopeless.)

Ecuador’s president faced a severe challenge to his position. So is the U.S. president now being challenged in a more ritualized fashion. These politicians provided material for this blog.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Two people I haven’t discussed much are my old school friend, Dan, and his wife, Lizzie, who lifted my spirit by moving to the area and going on several outings with Karin & me. Also, it’s been a pleasure to observe the life of Ada, my new niece.

Of course, no yearly review would be complete without Jasper and Ziva. It’s obvious, now, that they’re incorrigibly naughty; but they more than compensate with their affection and their sheer being.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

The last book I’ve read this year is James Hilton’s Goodbye, Mr. Chips. It’s debatable whether that old teacher influences his charges in any substantial way. What he does better is to invite them to enrich their lives through the enjoyment of his person.

My own influence is meager; nor is the sheer enjoyment I provide very great. But then, neither does Mr. Chips blossom until he’s in his forties. And this blossoming is due to his wife.