Prospecting

About zero degrees Fahrenheit today. I stayed inside; I was on holiday, thanks to Martin Luther King. Karin & I did go out for supper, and I felt the cold then. I barely made it to the car.

A lovely philosophic job is advertised in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, in Marquette – a Lake Superior port town, four hours east of Duluth, eight hours from South Bend if one travels through Illinois and Wisconsin. Its hills and lake are beautiful, and its wooden sports dome is the world’s largest. But the cold! The snow! The darkness! If I barely can endure them here, how could I there?

This job was advertised a year ago as well; I wonder if that school has trouble attracting (or retaining) employees.

Another possible job – in Texas, not far from Ana & David – is in a nicer clime but would expire after a year or two.

Without the Ph.D., no job offer is likely to materialize; but I talked last week with my adviser, and we both realized that I am very close to finishing (though the degree probably wouldn’t be conferred until the end of May).