A different season; Karin’s car; church bulletin woes; advice for choosing a publisher

The snow and the cold have arrived in South Bend. Water appears to have seeped into the strut tubing of Karin’s car, making the car fly high into the air whenever it hits the tiniest bump, making it undrivable. (This is what I’m told; I understand nothing.) Though we’re still waiting for the mechanic to complete his diagnosis, it looks like we’ll have to shell out a lot of money one way or another. Meanwhile, we’re borrowing a spare car from my parents.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Carless last Saturday night, Karin & I put off printing out the church’s bulletin. The following morning, we arrived at the church a good while before the service, but our pastor already had edited the bulletin and printed it out.

His intentions were good. Nevertheless, he neglected to update certain information.

In Sunday school, I watched the little old ladies cackle over the mistake.

“It wasn’t my fault,” I told them.

And so I threw the pastor to the wolves.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

This is the front cover of a book recently published by Oxford University Press:


The title has two words that begin with Th. In one of the words, the T and the h are joined together with a ligature; in the other, they are not.

Avoid publishing with Oxford University Press!