I am mistaken for a chemistry tutor

Tonight, Karin met a friendly, stray tomcat who piteously mewed. She brought him food and stroked him.

It’s sad, knowing we’ve reached our limit as far as pet adopting goes.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

IU’s tutoring program has expanded into some of the local secondary schools. Today, I met the eighth-grader whom I am expected to tutor all semester, four hours each week.

Our first subject was science. I explained the distinction between physical and chemical changes. The cutting of bread involves a merely physical change; when the bread is digested or burned, the change is chemical.

This was a topic I hadn’t thought about in the last twenty years.

A college student sat at a nearby table, listening intently to us. He must be one of the chemistry tutors, I thought. I hope I’m doing justice to his subject.

Then he got up and walked over to our table. He showed me a sheet of paper on which he’d made complicated drawings. “Will you help me to understand these ionic bonds?” he asked.

I told him how he could find a real chemistry tutor.

My eighth-grade tutee and I then discussed the poetic techniques of metaphor, simile, and alliteration, and she wrote an alliterative poem of two short stanzas.