July’s poems

… are by Edna St. Vincent Millay.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Figs from Thistles [excerpts]

First Fig

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night:
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends –
It gives a lovely light!

Second Fig

Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand: / Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

The Unexplorer

There was a road ran past our house
Too lovely to explore.
I asked my mother once – she said
That if you followed where it led
It brought you to the milkman’s door.
(That’s why I have not traveled more.)

Thursday

And if I loved you Wednesday,
Well, what is that to you?
I do not love you Thursday –
So much is true.

And why you come complaining
Is more than I can see.
I loved you Wednesday – yes – but what
Is that to me?

The True Encounter

“Wolf!” cried my cunning heart
At every sheep it spied,
And roused the countryside.

“Wolf! Wolf!” – and up would start
Good neighbors, bringing spade
And pitchfork to my aid.

At length my cry was known:
Therein lay my release.
I met the wolf alone
And was devoured in peace.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

I have left out “The Penitent” – the last section of “Figs from Thistles” – because it is too impious.