A weekend diary

Friday evening

IU South Bend’s new school term is due to begin next week. I’ll welcome this change. I’ve gotten tired of staying at home.

Today I was in job training at IU for nearly seven hours, and it felt downright refreshing (though I’d dreaded it).

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Saturday morning

The high temperature today is 15°F. That is, 15 on the plus-side. It no longer feels unbearable to leave the house.

Saturday afternoon

Having left the house for two minutes, I retract what I previously wrote. The temperature is lousy. Also, I’m perturbed by how very long and sharp the icicles are that dangle, like Swords of Damocles, from the awnings of our housing complex.

Karin has come home from her job (she works half of each Saturday) and gone straight to bed, sick.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Saturday evening

Karin slept all afternoon. Then she felt slightly better. We performed some errands and now Karin is doing the bookkeeping for our church (she’s the treasurer). I’m watching an NFL playoff game.

The kitties are little sweeties. Jasper lets me pick him up and carry him around the house. He sits on my lap while I watch the game.

Are you very manly? I ask Jasper.

Chirp, chirp, he says.

Earlier this afternoon, Ziva lay in bed with me. She insisted that I hold up my left forearm, and then she burrowed herself into its crook.

The kitties have found my stash of groomsman neckties. They drag them around the house.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Sunday, early hours

I’m reading Albion’s Seed by David Hackett Fischer. Karin continues to work on the bookkeeping. For background noise, she plays a TV show called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., whose characters are from the “universe” of the Marvel comics.

Which universe is that? I ask. Ironman’s universe?

Yes, says Karin.

And ScarJo’s?

Sure.

And Harry Potter’s?

No, says Karin. You pip.