A local homicide; a visit to the Episcopalians

On Thursday night, a 17-year-old girl was shot to death about a block from our apartment, on a stretch of road along which I routinely walk to IUSB. Karin & I were outside the neighborhood when the homicide occurred. The victim was driving when she was shot, and she crashed into a house. (No one else was hurt.)

Here is a very sad news report about it.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

This morning, Karin & I visited the Episcopal church attended by one of Karin’s work colleagues.

I don’t think I’ll ever join a “high” church. For one thing – and this is something I’ve never enjoyed in any of the “high” congregations I’ve visited – it was exhausting and tedious to read, read, and read, vocally and in unison with others, from the church bulletin. For another, the communicants all drank out of the same chalice. Karin was amused and exasperated by how strongly that put me off.

I liked other things, though. The sermon, or homily, was about reorienting one’s life according to God’s will. I thought it very good, though its connection to the scripture – Jonah ch. 3, vv. 1–5 and 10 (the verses appointed for the third Sunday after Epiphany) – was rather tenuous. Also, I liked how the churchgoers greeted me with friendliness. “Peace be with you,” they would say. “Thanks,” I’d reply. “Peace be with you,” they’d say again. “Yes,” I’d reply again, “thank you very much.”