Two ex-Hammers

A year has passed since the dismal European Championship, the highlight of which was Simone Zaza’s failed penalty kick:


How poignant Zaza’s face is, how hopeful. (And Conte’s, how full of sadness.)

Last year, I wrote: “Brave Zaza, I understand your pain, and I wish you future success.”

Zaza has redeemed himself. After an awful period at West Ham, he was lent out to Valencia, where he scored this golazo against Real Madrid.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I now look to the resurgence of Énner Valencia, my compatriot. This other former Hammer was lent out to make room for Zaza. At Everton, he hardly played. Now, he is in Mexico, with los Tigres, among strikers Eduardo Vargas and André-Pierre Gignac.

He scored three good goals in his debut with los Tigres. The second goal, especially, shows his athleticism, his ruggedness.

Why didn’t he succeed in the Premier League?

I agree with Álex Aguinaga. Some players can only function in a certain warmth.