Mother’s Day

On Mother’s Day, I was with my in-laws – especially, with Karin’s father’s family. This photo depicts us in Goshen, Indiana, at the house of Karin’s paternal grandparents.


(Brianna – who belongs to Karin’s mother’s family – sits next to Karin. The older man with the NRA thermos isn’t Karin’s father. I don’t know who he is.)

(I, of course, am the one standing with his fingers in his pockets.)

Karin had to explain to Brianna (who’d never visited the Goshen house) who all the relatives were. “And my Uncle So-and-So was married such-many times and has such-many children – and there are a few others who may or may not be his children. …”

I asked: “Does this mean that some people may or may not be my cousins?”

“Yes,” said Karin.

“You look too delighted about that,” said Brianna.

I was even more delighted to be reunited with Sammy, Karin’s grandpa’s small, grumpy dog. (Sammy and I get along so well that he barks and barks whenever I’m about to leave.) At seventeen, Sammy has frosted eyes and a walk that’s decidedly creaky. When he barks, both his front paws rise off the ground.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Returning to South Bend, Karin drove in the wrong direction. Then, after she righted the course, she speeded and was given a ticket. She was sad for a bit, but she recovered. We dropped Brianna off at Karin’s mother’s house, and I was reunited with – and climbed all over by – George, the nice dog that Karin’s stepfather brought home one night.