Brianna tries sushi

For Mary’s birthday, we went out for sushi. I hadn’t done that in years. Robert, the chef, recognized me and called out from across the restaurant.

“I think you mean David, my brother,” I called back. But no, Robert meant me. I approached him afterward, and he was well aware of the distinction.

Waiting for our food, our group played “Authors,” the card game. I didn’t play (Karin & I arrived late). Instead, whenever someone asked, “Do you have A Tale of Two Cities?” (or whatever), I was like, “Oh yes, I have X copies of that book,” which probably got tiresome after a while.

Karin’s little sister, Brianna, was with us. She tried – but failed – to enjoy the sushi. She did hit it off with the waitress, who joked with her all night.

This morning, Brianna was a visitor in our still-not-tidy apartment. She was extraordinarily caffeinated. She set herself to shelving books. What I hadn’t accomplished in two weeks, Brianna finished in a few hours. As a bonus, she alphabetized my Agatha Christies. I told her to apply for a shelving job at the public library.