Year-change

“Right now, the birds are the least of our problems.”

This quotation is, in a nutshell, the political message of Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent (1940), the World War II thriller that Karin & I watched on New Year’s Eve. (Of course, Hitchcock would go on to release a movie with precisely the opposite message, in 1963.) Together with Joel McCrea (Sullivan’s Travels), the cast includes Laraine Day, who looks a little like Kristen Bell of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and George Sanders, who looks very, very much like Jason Segel of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Apart from this, there is nothing in common between those movies.

Today Karin didn’t have to go to work. Her friend Nora came over and we watched Wolf Children, a lovely cartoon movie from Japan about people who are able to turn themselves into wolves. Then Karin and Nora watched an episode of Sherlock, and I excused myself to read. The story that I chose featured a man able to turn into a wolf. It was not a very satisfactory story, but it evoked a few striking images; and so, tonight, I began to write a screenplay of it. (Lately, Karin & I have grown tired of being poor, and so we have been talking about writing something that will make a splash, and, with the proceeds, starting our own publishing company. Karin will be in charge of the finances, and I will do the typesetting. It’s pretty half-baked, really.)

Friends of ours moved away, bequeathing us two large bookcases. Now the apartment is much tidier and my books are more accessible. Jasper also benefits.