In limbo

I stayed at home every morning of this week. At bedtime each night, there was no dreading the next day (good). I met my daily writing quota in one attempt of four (not good). (Not terrible, either. My plan is to consistently meet the quota by the end of January.)

Ziva and Jasper are glad to have me more at home. They also are rather wearying in their demands.

Though my priority is to finish the dissertation, I’ve been looking for other jobs. I found a posting for an attractive job at a Purdue campus in the tiny town of Westville, Indiana, between LaPorte and Valparaiso. Karin & I looked at Westville on Google Maps as much as we could. Then, last weekend, we visited in person. It’s a nice-looking little town – as much of it, that is, as we could see (we were there in the dead of night). To the north of the town is the university (mostly parking lots); to the south, a prison. The town also has a Dairy Queen, a Subway, and a McDonald’s. I’m still unsure whether to apply for this job.

We stayed up late that night. Since then, I’ve had a cold. What little relief I’ve enjoyed is due to Mucinex. … Yesterday, Karin & I ate supper with a family from our church, but, due to my cold, I wasn’t my usual bouncy, bubbly self. I soldiered through it, though. The husband works as a graphic designer. I talked to him about fonts for several hours.