Juan Bosch

It’s Day Two of my second spring break – the break from my highschool job – and so I have the morning off.

Martin is leisured all day long. He attends to his hobbies: watching David Cronenberg movies; reading Poe, Bierce, and Lovecraft. I told him I would read At the Mountains of Madness with him. We’ll see. This year, I haven’t been so good at finishing books.

For my college history class, I’m writing a 20–25 pp. paper about U.S./Dominican relations during the early ’60s, focusing upon the ideological (and personal) antipathy between U.S. officials and President Juan Bosch. Bosch is a lively case study. Soon after he was ousted, he wrote several books about Dominican democracy. His enduring idea, still discussed by Latin Americans, is dictadura con respaldo popular – dictatorship with popular support – a defense of non-electoral “democracy.”

(Bosch also wrote a work called David, biografía de un rey, which reviewers could make neither head nor tail of. It climaxes with Absalom’s rebellion.)

As historical analysis, I’m not sure how well my paper is turning out. As an anthology of quotations, it’s quite breezy to read.